Monday, August 08, 2011

Reservations of the trailer of the Movie of the Rise of the Planet of the Apes

This movie looks like I would really like it. I have no great love for the previous Ape movies, but I like the idea of apes going crazy and attacking humans.

The trailer had me until I saw the ape. It looks like this













It's supposed to be a chimp, right? An actual monkey? I admit I know very little about this film, but I know how monkeys look? They don't have a very visible sclera (the white part). They have eyes like this



















So, does anyone else think an ape with shifty human eyes looks retarded? Or am I super sensitive to how eyes look. I mean, if they can get every hair in there and not looking like a video game...didn't they do research into how the eyes look? Wouldnt this

























getting all smart and taking over the world look better than this?


























Oooh....he's looking at me with human eyes. So ominous.

SFX artists, Hollywood...it's time you address this issue and stop making apes look like dudes with an ape mask on.

























And don't tell me it wont look real, or the ape wouldn't be able to convey emotions. I cant hear you anyway. Kong had gorilla eyes and he was still able to convey emotion and danger and realism.

Maybe I'll feel stupid after I actually see the movie. Maybe they explain that the Alzheimers-fixing serum alters their eyes, and also gives them larynges, so they eventually learn to speak english like they do in the other Ape movies. Wait...do they all learn english? What about the apes in china? Do they learn chinese? And how is there a million apes in one city....are there that many zoos? Uh oh...now I'm starting to have all sorts of qualms...I hope they resolve these pre-issues. Maybe I'll love this movie. Maybe this will happen.








5 comments:

Montgomery Q said...

There's usually a Coldstone in the sclera of town.

C. L. Hanson said...

Re: It's supposed to be a chimp, right? An actual monkey?

Not quite. Apes are not monkeys (in English, at least).

Montgomery Q said...

Oh yeah, I remember there's a difference. I really do my homework before I post, huh?

So, did anyone see the show and want to defend it?

Fedor Steeman said...

If you noticed, in the very beginning of the movie, you see CG animated wild chimps being captured. Their sclera are black. AFAIR, in the movie only the chimps that have been administered the ALZ-112/113 drug have white sclera.

They explicitly state in the beginning of the movie that this drug gives the chimps' eyes a green glow, but they leave the whiter sclerae unexplained. Still, I think the implicit assumption is that these are also affected.

Fedor Steeman said...

If you noticed, in the very beginning of the movie, you see CG animated wild chimps being captured. Their sclera are black. AFAIR, in the movie only the chimps that have been administered the ALZ-112/113 drug have white sclera.

They explicitly state in the beginning of the movie that this drug gives the chimps' eyes a green glow, but they leave the whiter sclerae unexplained. Still, I think the implicit assumption is that these are also affected.