Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Google wises up


Google dumped Windows. They're making all their employees choose either Mac or Linux. There's a Register article on it today.

I suppose it was a matter of time, after Google's chinese operations were hacked in January, and now with the direct competition with Bing. It makes sense. And as a Mac user who feels that Microsoft's only half-decent product was the XBox, it makes me feel a warm glow. The feeling of wetting yourself while tanning, I suppose.

I had to work on a PC for my first year of working here because of a chat program that let me chat with customers through out the day while trying to design at the same time. It wasn't pleasant. I was fixing my mom's PC and I asked why these anti-virus alerts kept coming up. She has to click through or ignore no less than 8 windows when she starts up that are telling her to update software and get rid of virusses, even though she takes it in about monthly to get it checked out and updated. I updated a few programs, then restarted, and all the warnings STILL came up. Nice work, Microsoft. Way to make a product that makes your customers insane with rage.

A lady that lives down the street was asking me what new desktop and laptop she should get. It was a rare opportunity to spout my beliefs, so I started talking about the advantages of the Mac. No virusses. Easier set-up. Her 8,000 kids would know how to use it immediately, since that's what they're using in school. She mainly wanted to use it for kids games and editing photos, movies and slideshows. I told her about Apple's iPhoto and iMovie (which are free, and far better than most Windows applications). During the course of the discussion I fell in love with my Mac all over again and went and bought some roses for it. Not red ones, you weirdo! That symbolizes romantic love! Pink for gratitude and happiness.

No comments: